Global Math Deprtment and the MathTwitterBlogosphere

/
4 Comments
I have been on vacation. Phew. Much needed. I was delighted to see two new posts in my feeder,
One from Kate at f(t) and one from Approximately Normal. I missed the Global Math Department meeting because I wasn't aware of it and, well, I was on vacation.

Having read the editable Google Doc from the conversation, I say yes! Yes to where we are at. Some more reflections: are you out there, anyone, anyone?

What constitutes a " newcomer?" I have just finished my first year of MTBoS with 57 posts. Am I still a newcomer? I have been teaching for more than a quarter century and don't know crap about Twitter ( though willing and trying) or Gavatar or Keynote, am I still a newcomer?

I was invited here, so glad to be here, and being here makes my job less lonely, especially when I want to talk shop. I have no expectations or desires for it to go this way or that. Like Andrew, over at Divisible by 3, I am just grateful this is here and I was lucky enough to find it. (Willing it, as Cheesemonkey Wonders so poetically suggests.)

Maybe:
There is no time to talk during the school day.
Maybe:
I am too burnt out to talk about math and teaching during normal people hours and when I am ready to get back to it, no one is awake.
Maybe:
I feel inspired and want to acknowledge those who've inspired me.
Maybe:
There is a question someone has about teaching math that I might be able to lead them to in a helpful direction. ( argh, it is getting late!)
Sometimes:
I can't sleep until I process an event.
Sometimes:
I cook like America's top chef and I want you to know it!

Mostly:
I want to connect with the math "poets." The people who care about people, who are multi- dimensional, not celebs, and are interested in forming genuine relationships around shared values, acceptance, interests, and the common good.

I like the quirky- throw-out-ideas-out-there-research-geek- try-to-do-our-best-for-the-students style going on out here in the MTBoS.

And maybe I blog because I really do want to be a rockstar and make a small difference.

And I am always hopeful by writing I will keep criss crossing my passions along the way.


You may also like

4 comments :

  1. Maybe:
    You sound a lot like me! I hope we can connect more - we certainly sound like we have the same goals.

    I love this:
    "I want to connect with the math 'poets.' The people who care about people, who are multi- dimensional, not celebs, and are interested in forming genuine relationships around shared values, acceptance, interests, and the common good."

    And, though I cannot imagine myself as a rockstar, I do want to make my mark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Jennifer. As you know, we write "for ourselves," and leaving a comment means the world!

      Here's to more collaboration...thought I don't know what my schedule is for fall!

      A

      Delete
  2. I had to kick myself 2-3 times before I finally remembered Global math Dept meetings. I'm in much th same boat as you, though I've got 2 months of twitter experience now (lol) and have just started blogging (and I've gotten 1 comment, thanks Jennifer).

    For me my biggest sometimes is: sometimes I need to think math to kick start my brain/creativity and the other teachers with whom I work seem far more interested in what happens after 3pm.

    Hope to see you next week (which actually will not be until the week after the 4th) or the week after that or whenever.

    And look, you are a rockstar! People you've never met are following you.. pretty impressive if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping in. Next stop for me: Planting Ideas (love the name!)

      You bring up a great point about what happens after 3pm. I have been in the basement, alone, by 2pm, a lot. Teachers are so dang busy!

      I also really like the idea of starting math dept meetings, with...math! Wouldn't it be cool to start our dept. meetings with a problem that we want to present to the students and get a chance to have a collaborative feast first? Wow! That's some powerful stuff.

      See you in Philly then.

      Delete

Like what you read? Want to contribute to the conversation? Leave a comment!