100%

/
2 Comments
...engagement. That is what I am being asked for in regard to asking students questions.

I am very aware who is engaged and absorbing information, formulating a plan, or completely out in la-la land. If the person who is out in la-la land is is not being distracting...is just well, physically present, but mentally elsewhere, does he/she need to be asked a question and startled out of their stupor (a regular ed kid, not an ADD or other)? Does a shy student who I can see in their eyes or on his or her paper have to answer? If I ask a student to share out, and that student respectfully requests not to go up in front of the class, is okay if I let them pass?

I am not being rhetorical, I really am asking your opinion. And if you feel as though everyone should publicly participate, how do you achieve that without popsicle sticks? I couldn't keep track of who is in and who is out...really if you must go through 35 students before a student can answer again, what prevents that really verbal kid from causing trouble? (The student who is an A+ student who never wants to say a word in front of the class, will ALWAYS raise her hand and correct a number in the problem, the date, or the assignment number. I LOVE THAT!)

Anyone, anyone? Please let me know your thoughts.

On another note, here is an anticipatory lesson I used for Zero Product Property that I thought went really well:

(coming soon)


You may also like

2 comments :

  1. I think about that too... I think as long as your "answer-ers" aren't speeding class up by answering questions quicker than the rest of the class can manage and you can tell through other means that they "get it," you don't need them to be actively participating in front of class. I think if they can say something during a Think-Pair-Share that it should count. If they can answer exit questions, that should count. I think kids can passively participate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for chiming in. I used Think, pair, share today. I had forgotten about that one for awhile. (good to change it up once in awhile, right?)

    Amy

    ReplyDelete

Like what you read? Want to contribute to the conversation? Leave a comment!